Engineering Leveling Guide 1-600
22 January 2013
Last Updated on 04 October 2013
This guide shows how to level Engineering from 1-600 in the cheapest and most trouble-free manner. Unlike other guides found on the net, the recommendations made here are 100% optimized and take into account the exact chance to level at any given point, versus the cost of reagents. As always, the assumption is that you have Rank 2 of the Working Overtime perk, which increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 20%.
- Learn Engineering Expert.
- 150-170: 20 x [Gold Power Core]: Gold Bar
Gold Bars are pretty cheap despite being uncommon in quality. Keep these for the next step. They can also be used for crafting profitable pets such as Mechanical Toad.
- 170-175: 5 x [Gyrochronatom]: Iron Bar | Gold Power Core
- 175-176: 1 x [Gyromatic Micro-Adjustor]: 4 x Steel Bar
- 176-195: 45 x [Solid Blasting Powder]: 2 x Solid Stone
Make more if you do not reach 195 with 45. Do not discard these.
- 195-200: 5 x [Mithril Tube]: 3 x Mithril Bar
- 200-215: 15 x [Unstable Trigger]: Mithril Bar | Mageweave Cloth | Solid Blasting Powder
Do not discard these.
- Learn Engineering Master.
- 300-310: 50 x [Handful of Fel Iron Bolts]: Fel Iron Bar
- 310-320: 10 x [Elemental Blasting Powder]: 2 x Mote of Earth | Mote of Fire
- 320-320: 15 x [Fel Iron Casing]: 3 x Fel Iron Bar
The above crafts should be plenty to get you to 320.
- 320-325: 5 x [Fel Iron Musket]: 3 x Fel Iron Casing | 6 x Handful of Fel Iron Bolts
- 325-335: 10 x [Adamantite Grenade]: 4 x Adamantite Bar | Elemental Blasting Powder | 2 x Handful of Fel Iron Bolts
- 335-350: 22 x [White Smoke Flare]: Elemental Blasting Powder | Neatherweave Cloth
This is the only Smoke Flare recipe in this range that requires no Dye. Flares can be useful for raiding and such, so you can craft Red, Blue or Green Smoke Flares if you so wish, though you will have to hunt down the recipes for them. [Schematic: White Smoke Flare] is sold by NPCs in Exodar, Shattrath, Zangarmarsh, and Silvermoon.
- 350-370: 22 x [Handful of Cobalt Bolts]: 2 x Cobalt Bar
Do not discard these. You will need a total of 40 Bolts in the steps below, and each craft here yields 1-3 bolts randomly.
- 370-375: 9 x [Volatile Blasting Trigger]: Crystallized Water | 3 x Cobalt Bar
Do not discard these.
- Learn Engineering Illustrious Grandmaster.
- 425-445: 27 x [Handful of Obsidium Bolts]: 2 x Obsidium Bar
- 445-460: 22 x [Electrified Ether]: 2 x Volatile Air
Do not discard these yet, you will need them later.
- 460-465: 5 x [Volatile Seaforium Blastpack]: Obsidium Bolts | 2 x Electrified Ether
You can also make an R19 Threatfinder in this step, but the Seaforium Blastpacks are usually marginally cheaper due to Volatile Air being fairly inexpensive.
- 465-470: 1 x [R19 Threatfinder]: 6 x Obsidium Bar | 6 x Handful of Obsidium Bolts | 2 x Alicite
- 470-475: 1 x [High-Powered Bolt Gun]: 10 x Obsidium Bar | 8 x Handful of Obsidium Bolts | 4 x Electrified Ether
- The next steps (up to 495) are more expensive than the usual recommendations, but you will be able to sell them at the Auction House and recoup your costs or even profit.
- 475-495: 4 x [Personal World Destroyer] OR [De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion]: 10 x Obsidium Bar | 8 x Handful of Obsidium Bolts | 8 x Electrified Ether
This will depend on your specialization. The goblin pet costs a little more. Alternatively, you can make 4 x Elementium Toolboxes, but these will never sell for much.
- 495-500: 1 x [Elementium Dragonling]: 2 x Handful of Obsidium Bolts | 8 x Electrified Ether | 16 x Elementium Bar | 20 x Embersilk Cloth
- Learn Engineering Zen Master.
- 500-550: 24 x [Ghost Iron Bolts]: 3 x Ghost Iron Bar
- 500-550: 36 x [High-Explosive Gunpowder]: 1 x Ghost Iron Bar
- 550-577: 9 x [Thermal Anvil]: 8 x High-Explosive Gunpowder | 6 x Ghost Iron Bolts
- You can also make Tinker’s Kit if Windwool Cloth is cheap on your server.
- 577-600: This is the tough part. You have only a few options for leveling in this range without using Spirits of Harmony. The first is [Mirror Scope], which can be sold at the AH. You can continue to make Thermal Anvils as well, but the cost in both scenarios is prohibitive. You may want to craft yourself a retinal armor, such as [Deadly Retinal Armor]. These require 7 x [Living Steel] and give 5 skill points. If you don’t mind farming the Spirits of Harmony, there are several options available to you. First, you can make [Mist-Piercing Goggles] and send them to alts or sell at the Auction House. The best option, in my opinion, is [Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling]. This one can be resold at great profit at the Auction House. Requires 4 x Ghost Iron Ore, 6 x White Trillium Bar and 2 x Spirits of Harmony.